VII: Reflections

I found this week very interesting because, even though the readings came from the 1950s, so much of what I experienced as a student in elementary and high school is what students in this era experienced. I remember laughing as I read through the readings and being able to recall so much of my personal experience in school. Although you think that great changes would take place in a 50-year time span, it is evident that the fundamentals of teaching really hasn’t evolved that much. That raises questions like “Is this a good thing?” or “Should more changes take place?” because it is no secret that the children of today and very different that the children of the 1950s. I don’t feel like I am qualified to have an answer to this question, but I look forward to the day when I am a teacher and to see if how I teach mirrors the ways of the mid-20th century or if by the time I am a teacher, things will be different. If I were to take an educated guess, I would guess that although much of the curriculum is changing in the present day, the fundamental structures of the classroom will remain very much the same as they always have.