Statement of Process

1. How did you choose your topic?  Please explain in as much detail as possible.

Over the course of my degree, majoring in English and minoring in History, I have developed a passion for women’s studies, in both literature and history. In addition, upon completion of my undergraduate degree, I intend to pursue a career in elementary education. By combining my passion for women’s history with my passion for education, I selected this topic. I am hopeful that through the research of the feminization of education, I will gain a better understand of and appreciation for the profession of teaching as well as the experiences of women with whom I have similar passions and goals.

2. How did you choose your sources?  Please explain your thinking that led you to choose the evidence you will use to interpret the topic.

Fortunately, two sections in our class textbook focussed on the feminization of teaching and the experiences of female teachers. I was able to use these articles, as well as articles found under the “Suggestions for Further Reading,” found at the beginning of each chapter, to find sources suitable for my research paper. In addition, I spent time in the TRU library, searching for books that would provide further insight into the experiences of women in different regions of Canada between 1880 and 1930. I chose sources that provide significant historical context, including evidence such as statistics, that will help answer the question my research question.

3. What assumptions did you bring to your research?  For example, what preconceived notions about the topic did you have before you began your research?  Did your sources cause you to reconsider those ideas?  Please explain in as much detail as possible.

I believe I came with the preconceived notion that women have always been a large part of the education system. Prior to this course and a few of my other classes that focus on the experiences of women in history, I believe I took for granted that the large proportion of female teachers seen today, especially in the elementary school setting, is how it has always been, when in reality, that is far from the case. My research has provided me great insight into the experiences of women as they sought inclusion in what was considered to be the “public sphere,” as well as the challenges they faced upon becoming teachers, and how the public education system changed as women became more involved as educators. As a young woman pursuing higher education as well as a career as a teaching, I feel immense appreciation for the women of the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century who worked extremely hard to change the social constructs surrounding women. I am proud to be able to research this topic, and I am interested to see how my understanding of the teaching profession grows as I continue my research.

4. How has your view of the past changed as a result of the research that you have done?  What unanswered questions about this topic do you still have?

As previously mentioned, I have realized that the process of pursuing higher education and a career has not always been easily accessible for women. I have gained insight into how our modern-day ideas of the teaching profession being dominated by women, especially at the primary level, are as a result of the efforts of the women of the 19th and 20th centuries. I have also gained insight into how factors such as gender constructs, urbanization, and industrialization have impacted the experience of female teachers. Finally, I discovered that the topic of the feminization of teaching is complex and the experiences of women vary greatly depending on the geographical location in Canada, as well as whether or not a woman was in an urban or rural environment.

5. What will you do differently next time?

If I were to do something differently next time, I would choose a topic with more books available in the library. I found it challenging to find books written on the subject of the feminization of education that is relevant to the question I am endeavouring to answer. I was hoping there would be more memoirs available documenting the experiences of some of the first women to become teachers; however, I was unsuccessful in finding any in the TRU library.